Surface Pro 3 PXE Boot skips IPv4, Surface Pro 3 PXE goes straight to IPv6.
After PXE Booting the SP3, you could see it flash something after the message about IPv4 and goes straight to IPv6, then eventually times out and boots normally.
I used my iPhone Slow-mo camera to record this process and then view what it was actually flashing on the screen before jumping to IPv6.
“Downloading the NBP File…
Succeed to download NBP file.”
Okay, so a lot of people mentioned requiring “ip-helper” on switches & disabling then DHCP options 66/67 but neither of these seemed to help. I also updated the firmware on the device but this also made no difference.
What did up being the solution was our DHCP options pointed to the x86 NBP file “SMSBoot\x86\wdsnbp.com” – as the Surface Pro 3’s are x86 – just changing this DHCP option to “SMSBoot\x64\wdsnbp.com” immediately fixed the issue!
This issue came back again shortly after.
After tracing the SMS_DP$\sms\logs\SMSPXE.log file, I could see the SP3 coming up with “C0:33:5E:74:6A:E7, 3AA0B669-B048-2D73-4942-0D4E0428F92D: device is in the database. SMSPXE 18/08/2015 1:48:09 PM 1244 (0x04DC)”
So, the NBP file was successful in downloading, but there were no valid task sequences or boot images for this device because it was no longer under the ‘Unknown Computer’ collection… but.. this was supposed to be a completely fresh Surface Pro 3!? The answer… the MAC Address seen above relates to the USB Gigabit Ethernet device… the one that is shared amongst the IT team when imaging these Surface Pro’s…. So a temporary solution is to remove the existing device from SCCM.
This can be done by running the following query under the Monitoring tab:
select SMS_R_System.Name, SMS_R_System.Client, SMS_R_System.ClientVersion, SMS_R_System.MACAddresses from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.MACAddresses like ##PRM:SMS_R_System.MACAddresses##
However, you can’t really do this for each device you image with SCCM if you are only using the one ethernet adapter for the process.
A little more searching brings up this article – How to Use The Same External Ethernet Adapter For Multiple SCCM OSD
After having this issue once again, this time on a Surface pro 4, and searching the database for the MAC address resulted in empty.
This time, check the SMSPXE.log and look for the ‘ItemKey’ field.
“Client boot action reply: <ClientIDReply><Identification Unknown=”0” ItemKey=”2046820353″ .. blah”
With this you can look in the SCCM Console -> Assets -> Devices. Enable the ‘Resource ID’ column and match it up to the same computer – this you will need to remove in order to PXE boot the machine.
Total Views: (3173)